Sunday, January 16, 2011

Back From Church

I have to say that one thing I love about my church, The Calvary Chapel, is that when we go through books of the Bible, we don't just read it to read it, Pastor Tommy goes in depth for each line and the purpose of each word used. Today we had the opportunity to continue in 2 Corinthians, we focused on verses 7-11. My favorite verse is "In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely on only God, who raises the dead." (2 Corinthians 1: 9) This reminded me of how this past summer, I expected to die, I wasn't expecting to make it past 10th grade, I said my mental goodbyes to this world, but being "at my end", as Tommy put it, made me reach out to the Lord. Tommy used a story about how he was taken rock climbing by another pastor, when he wasn't expecting it, to describe how when he was at his end with fear on a fifty foot tall cliff, with only a rope to secure him, he realized that he just needed to trust in God to go on. That the rope was tied onto a higher rock. That God was his higher rock. When he finally put it in God's hands he made it to the top and he let go. In my life its been a struggle, a 50 foot cliff that I've been climbing, to finally accept my dad's absence, I found my end and I ran towards God. Jumping in God's arms is the most relieving, relinquishing, joyful action I have ever done. Its hard to be vulnerable, I don't like to be vulnerable, and to have God in your life is to be vulnerable to Him. Sometimes it takes finding the end of ourselves to finally cry out in vulnerability and desperation, for us to see the Lord beckoning us into His aura of love. I especially loved how Tommy didn't fail to say that even though we are Christians, we are not granted a perfect, flawless life. That sometimes we are haunted by more troubles, but we now have hope in Jesus, however, that doesn't change the battles of the world. We still live in this imperfect world. When it is said "For we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, of our trouble which came to us in Asia" (2 Corinthians 1:8), God is telling us that we shouldn't let the worlds troubles and hurt bring us down, but encourage us, we can make it through when God is on our side. That the world will be uncomfortable when we, as Christians, say that there is more to life than the material, and that God is the true way to salvation and love and kindness, but this should encourage us. We know that the Holy Spirit is working through us and onto others. I expected to die, but when I found my faith in God, I discovered that nothing that this world can provide, will ever be enough to sooth me. Only God can sooth me, heal me and make me whole again. Thank you Lord! 


My Worship Song For The Week:
Mighty To Save by: Laura Story

No comments:

Post a Comment