Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day Of Silence Journal 04/15/11

So the Day of Silence was a lot more difficult this year, it really came down on me hard to true meaning of it, especially when people kept making "gay" jokes at me, any ways at one point in the day I couldn't handle it so I used my pass to the counselors' office and ended up writing this:

April 15th, 2011
How do you tell someone how you feel without speaking and without writing an essay. How do you defend yourself without words? The meaning of Day Of Silence is so much more powerful when experiencing it, hearing about it doesn't compare. The feeling of isolation puts you in a daze, where you forget about the "importance" of every day conversations. The lack of talking even drys out your throat and when you do speak again your voice cracks on the choked out words. Day Of Silence isn't just a protest against bullying or something to bring attention to others, but it's to bring a more intense, tangible, awareness to the participants. I tell people it's not as hard as it sounds, just to get them to do it, but in all reality it is hard and stressfull and saddening to an extent however it is also enlightening and eye opening and incredibly, absolutely powerful. Anyone who has participated the whole day would know. It's inspirational, The lack of a voice is so disabling and makes you almost handicapped. You want to just YELL at the people who are so ignorant it makes you want to shake them. How can someone so easily make fun of a NATIONAL ISSUE? There are kids out there who go to school in fear, diaphragm shaking, suffocating, shuttering, inevitable fear. Fear of getting beat up or harassed or even of being killed, just because THEY ARE WHO THEY ARE! As human beings we all want to fit in one way or another. No one wants to be isolated or along or abandoned, no one. The whole idea of having superiority to judge one another is asinine! God is the only one who can judge. He is the only perfect being. He is the only on who knows someone in their hearts and minds, inside and out, fully. NO ONE ELSE CAN KNOW! So why do people think they know better, when really no one knows someone better than God. So Lord help me be strong as I venture back into this battle field, because this does not end at the Day Of Silence. This is reality for so many people. 
-Meghann


6 comments:

  1. Meggie I am SO proud of you to stick it out like this. I love you so much. You are an inspiration sweetie.

    Love love love,
    Ieva

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. You proved to me that I can be who I am. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i understand its hard. and honestly me being a 14 year old supporter to see people like you who give their days up for such a beautiful cause is life changing. i am young and maybe naive but i know it hurts to hear people in the halls saying things that just don't make any sense. when it comes down to it if they understood if they really cared they'd be right next to us. Shine On Beautiful. Keep Inspiring The World :D its a big task but those with the heart and determination can make ANYTHING happen. good luck and your are truly amazing -bunni

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am inspired and encouraged by your words. Thank God for people like you. I am an educator who has worked with students for decades and has seen all too clearly the devastation that this kind of bullying can cause. It is peer voices (actions) like yours that will most powerfully influence other students. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete